A marinade flavored with apple juice brings the meat in this dish a subtle sweetness that holds its own amidst more overt flavor elements like savory tomato and fresh green onion. Fresh black peppercorns touch the finished meal with faint heat. This easy-to-prepare meat entrée pairs well with sides like yellow rice, grilled peppers, fresh pita bread with hummus, and more.
• 1 lb. boneless lamb cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1 Roma tomato
• 3 green onions
• 6 oz. apple juice
• ½ tsp cracked black peppercorns
• 1/4 cup Memmi (Japanese noodle soup base)
• 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine Memmi, apple juice, and peppercorns to create marinade. Marinate and refrigerate meat for a minimum 1 hour, or a maximum of overnight.
2. When ready to cook, remove meat from refrigerator and pour off marinade.
3. Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a skillet over medium heat.
4. Dice tomato and chop green onions, adding these to skillet once oil is hot. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Use wooden spoon to push the vegetables to one side of skillet surface.
5. Increase heat to medium-high and add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil to skillet.
6. Add marinated meat to skillet, stirring frequently. Mix in tomatoes and onions and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until satisfied that meat is thoroughly cooked.