Tempura lends this surprisingly filling sandwich a pleasing crunchy texture. The sweetness of teriyaki sauce plays well with the natural flavors of the vegetables, artfully tying together the wide-range of tastes presented. This recipe yields 2 servings.
• 2 slices eggplant
• 2 slices sweet potato
• 4 pieces sliced lotus root
• 6 shiitake mushroom caps
• 6-8 carrot slices
• 1 roasted red pepper, cut into quarters
• 3 tbsp teriyaki sauce*
• 100 grams Tempura batter mix
• 120 ml cold water
• 1 to 1.5 quarts vegetable or corn oil
• 2 sandwich thins
1. Preheat oil in deep fryer or frying pan on stovetop to 350 to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine tempura mix and water in a high-rimmed bowl, mixing until no lumps remain.
3. Dredge eggplant, sweet potato, lotus root, shiitake mushroom, carrots, and roasted red pepper pieces through batter, coating both sides.
4. When oil is hot, place batter-coated vegetable pieces in hot oil and fry until batter is golden brown in color, then remove from oil.
5. Stacking the vegetables largest to smallest, place each tempura vegetable on bottom half of sandwich thin.
6. Drizzle 1 tbsp of teriyaki sauce over tempura vegetables. Spread 1/2 tbsp upon inner upper half of each sandwich thin.