Want to indulge this October 31st without completely abandoning your dietary convictions?
Good on you. We respect your principles.
And because we at Flavorful World are as genuinely concerned about your health and well-being as we are about eating and drinking things that bring the tasty and bring it hard, we’ve collected below four—count ’em, FOUR—ways for you to get your Halloween treat on wherever you are without playing tricks on your diet.
Carrington Farms pampers our palates with its nutty, chocolatey Bon Bon Bliss Bites. Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg of Spork Foods have created a delicious (as well as vegan and gluten-free) Pistachio Chewy Bite Popcorn Ball recipe that is easy to make and perfect for Halloween. For a health-conscious take on the traditional homemade ice cream sandwich, dairy-free dessert company DF MAVENS shares a Gluten-Free/Vegan Domino Cookie recipe that everyone will love. Lastly, Colman’s Mustard takes us perhaps the farthest out of our box-shaped comfort zones with its Spicy Chocolate Popcorn recipe that, as its title lets slip, mashes up two familiar ingredients that rarely appear in public together — chocolate and mustard!
Try one, try all. Either way, few people you know will be eating as well as you this Halloween if you let these delightful, easily prepared sweets into your life.
Carrington Farms Bon Bon Bliss Bites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp Carrington Farms coconut oil, divided
- 1/3 cup 100% unsweetened cacao powder
- sweetener of choice
- In a food processor, grind coconut flakes and raw almonds. Add a small amount of sweetener (Stevia is used here) and 1 tbsp coconut oil to make the mixture “sticky”. Pulse for just a couple of seconds to combine the sweetener and coconut oil.
- Roll into balls and freeze for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, mix remaining coconut oil, cacao powder and sweetener of choice in a bowl. The amount of sweetener is up to your taste buds!
- After 30 minutes, take out and dip balls in the chocolate, then place on parchment paper. The chocolate will set almost immediately. You may freeze again for 2 minutes and repeat until well covered. You will have left over chocolate, but that’s just awesome, right?!
About Carrington Farms
With a 14 year history of developing healthy consumer packaged goods in vibrant packaging, Carrington Farms has become recognized by the health conscious consumer as the brand of choice in presenting ‘Healthy foods for a Healthy Soul’. For more information, please visit www.carringtonfarms.com.
Pistachio Chewy Bite Popcorn Balls
- 5 cups popped popcorn
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated buttery spread (Earth Balance)
- 2 cups vegan marshmallows (Dandie’s brand)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bag Setton Farms Pistachio Chewy Bites, 6 pieces, roughly chopped
- In a 4-6 quart heavy pot, add buttery spread, marshmallows, cinnamon and sea salt. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn off heat and add vanilla extract and Pistachio Chewy Bites. Stir well, mixing until uniform.
- Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to portion out the mixture into 10 balls and place on a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Enjoy when cooled.
About the Chefs
L.A.-based sisters and celebrity chefs, Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg of Spork Foods are vegan chefs and cookbook authors that own a Los Angeles-based gourmet cooking school.
Gluten Free/Vegan Domino Cookies paired with DF MAVENS Mint Almond Cookie
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance brand coconut spread, or non-hydrogenated shortening or non-dairy margarine, chilled
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 2 tbsps water
- 1 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup superfine brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup sweet white rice flour
- 1 1/2 tsps xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy white chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 °F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugars and coconut spread until smooth. Stir in the prepared flaxseed meal.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, superfine brown rice flour, sweet white rice flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, and baking powder. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until a clumpy dough forms. Fold in the white chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet two inches apart. Flatten slightly and bake for 10 minutes for a chewy cookie or 12 minutes for a crispier cookie. Let the cookies cool completely on a cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack.
- Once cooled, add desired scoops of DF MAVENS ice cream to one cookie and top with another. Enjoy!
About DF Mavens
DF MAVENS offers a delicious ice cream alternative so even those with food allergies or sensitivities can enjoy this classic treat. The product is also gluten-free and vegan. Learn more at www.dfmavens.com.
Colman’s Mustard Spicy Chocolate Popcorn
- 1 bag buttered popcorn
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tsp Colman’s Mustard
- 1 tbsp light Karo Syrup
- Pop the popcorn according to package directions.
- In a small saucepan add the chocolate chips and heat on low.
- Add the milk and stir constantly until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Add the mustard and the Karo syrup. Mix well.
- Dump the popcorn into a bowl and pour chocolate mixture over popcorn. Mix well and let it sit till it cools.
About Colman’s Mustard
Established in 1814, Colman’s Mustard of Norwich has been recognized widely as the iconic English mustard in the U.K using a unique and zesty blend of brown mustard and white mustard seeds. Visit www.colmansusa.com for more information.