Tell me if you’ve been here before: your Thanksgiving menu is all set but for the lack of that perfect side dish that you haven’t been able to commit yourself to making, because you haven’t yet figured out what it will be. Your meal is well on its way to being a masterpiece the likes of which future generations of your family will write songs about; you just need one or two sides to round it out, and none of your past kitchen efforts pack the unprecedented kick in the mouth that you’re looking for. So far, you’ve had no luck in finding a new recipe that sings to you, but you’ll recognize it when you see it.
Sound familiar? Well, gather ’round. Uniquely flavorful foods await a place on your table.
Westside Market NYC chef and chief matriarch Maria Zoitas is best known for her namesake “Maria’s Homemade” line of gourmet prepared foods. Here are three of Chef Zoitas’ recipes that are sure to brighten up your Thanksgiving table.
MARIA’S HOMEMADE SAUTÉED KALE WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- 8 Oz. Quinoa (white)
- 4 Oz. Olive Oil (Artisanal)
- 1 Bunch parsley coarsely chopped
- 1 Bunch dill coarsely chopped
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 32 Oz. Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Bunches of kale roughly chopped (remove stem)
- 1 Butternut squash peeled, and diced ½ inch (remove seeds)
- Sauté the onions with olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth let it simmer for another 5-7 minutes. Then add the butternut squash. Keep cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir well and serve while it is hot.
MARIA’S HOMEMADE ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
- 2 Lbs. Brussel sprouts
- 1 ½ Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F.
- Trim the ends of the brussel sprouts and remove any yellow leaves.
- In a medium bowl season and toss the sprouts with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place seasoned sprouts on a sheet pan and bake them for 20-25 minutes or until the brussel sprouts are brown.
MARIA’S HOMEMADE CRANBERRY COUSCOUS
- 1 Cup Israeli Couscous
- ¾ Cup Dried Cranberries
- ½ Cup Chopped Scallions
- 2 Tsp. Fresh Chopped Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped Tarragon
- 1 Tbsp. Turmeric Powder
- ¼ Cup Champagne Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Canola Oil
- ¼ Cup Orange Juice
- 2 Tsp. Honey
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 Tsp. Lemon Juice
- A Pinch of Salt
- A Pinch of Black Pepper
- Pour water into pot and heat till boiling.
- Pour couscous in boiling water.
- Mix in turmeric powder with couscous and let it stand for a remaining 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse couscous in cold water.
- In a small bowl whisk all dressing ingredients together.
- Toss couscous in dressing bowl and mix ingredients together to make the cranberry couscous salad.
About Westside Market NYC
Since 1965, Westside Market NYC has been deeply engrained in the fabric of New York City’s Upper Westside life. Its mission is simple: to become your favorite neighborhood food market and caterer of choice by offering the highest quality foods and hard-to-find products, supported by friendly, personalized, efficient service at every one of its locations. Learn more at http://www.wmarketnyc.com/.