Famed barbecue chef Adam Perry Lang returned to Jimmy Kimmel Live! last week to spread the message this holiday season that whisky and barbecue are made for each other. In the above video segment, the celebrated pitmaster and cookbook author illustrates how to incorporate whisky into a barbecue recipe by creating a boozy holiday roast glaze using 90-proof Tennessee whisky George Dickel No. 12.
Chef Perry Lang also came bearing a gift that he personally selected from the George Dickel distillery as a special holiday offering for Jimmy Kimmel Live! The gift, a barrel of George Dickel 9-Year-Old whisky, presented an exclusive sampling opportunity to Jimmy and audience members, due to the fact that each barrel varies in taste, thereby providing a tasting experience unique to Jimmy Kimmel Live! Chef Adam Perry Lang’s recipe follows below.
Chef Adam Perry Lang’s George Dickel Whisky Holiday Roast Baste
- 1 cup George Dickel No. 12
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup Finely diced shallots
- 2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cubed cold butter
- In a small pan over low heat, sweat shallots in butter until golden then add black pepper.
- Remove from flame and pour in whisky, light by tilting the pan, or with lighter. Be careful of the flame.
- Cook until the alcohol burns off. Remove from fire and swirl in cold cubed butter.
- Add salt to taste.