Whether you’ll be celebrating Labor Day tomorrow with a cook-out, picnic, or pool party, the time has come for us all to make the most of this nice warm weather while we still can. Since, for many of us, that means breaking out the grill and bathing delicious foods in searing flame, we thought you’d find this grilled salad recipe appealing for many reasons, not the least of which is that not everyone consumes meat on the regular.
Shared courtesy of Chef Fiona Bohane (who, incidentally, happens to be the Head Chef of Dave Matthews Band), this is a light dish that’s full of flavor and makes a perfect complement to your usual grilled fare.
Grilled Green Bean Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Feta and Dill
Serves 6-8 people
- 1 ½ – 2 pounds Green Beans, stems off
- 1 pound Cherry Tomatoes, skewered on 6 inch skewers, 4-5 per skewer
- 1 bunch Scallions
- ½ Red Onion, cut in wedges with root still attached
- 1 bunch Dill, rough chop
- 1 pound Feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Whole Grain Mustard
- Pinch Crushed Red Pepper
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Mix together and set aside until ready to use.
- Prepare grill, to medium high heat.
- Toss green beans with 2 Tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle tomatoes, scallions and onion with remaining olive oil, salt and pepper.
- When grill is hot, shake off excess oil off green beans and gently place on grill, watch out for flare ups.
- Leave on grill for a couple of minutes until the beans are lightly charred. Don’t worry about all the beans being cooked through.
- Take beans off grill and place in a heat proof bowl, let cool.
- Place skewered tomatoes, scallions and onion (cut side down) on grill.
- Flip tomatoes and scallions when they first begin to char, remove from grill when both sides lightly charred.
- Let the onion fully char on cut edges before you remove from the grill.
- When cool, take tomatoes off skewer and place in bowl with green beans.
- Roughly chop the scallions and take ends off the onion. Add to bowl.
- Add feta, dill and vinaigrette to bowl. Gently toss.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve at room temperature.
*Delicious with grilled chicken a glass of the Dreaming Tree Sauvignon Blanc—produced by celebrated musician Dave Matthews and famed Sonoma winemaker Sean McKenzie—reviewed here late last month.