* * *THIS CONTEST IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING ENTRIES* * *
It’s Wednesday today, and while you probably thought this was going to be just your average hump day, characterized by your typical mid-week lamentation that it is not yet Friday afternoon, today will end up being much more than that for one simple reason:
Today begins our first giveaway of 2017!
Chef Corinne Trang is a Nautilus Cookbook Award winning author of nine books. Her most recent publishing is titled SWITCH IT UP – A Fresh Take on Quick and Easy Diabetes-Friendly Recipes for a Balanced Life. Having received a review copy of this book, I found it to read like the ultimate small plates menu. This is intended as a compliment of the first order, given that nearly all of the recipes Chef Trang presents are portioned to shift seamlessly between being meals in themselves, and functioning as a component of a larger meal. The book’s most notable and pleasing aspect, however, is that the author takes great care to ensure than not a single recipe contained within its pages could be considered boring (a complaint too often launched against recipes that take nutrition into consideration). Each recipe is presented alongside nutritional value information and pairing options of select dishes appearing elsewhere in the book.
Chef Trang makes inventive use of easily found diabetes-friendly ingredients like Blood oranges, white miso, Goji berries, Stilton cheese, and more to create dishes that sing with vibrant flavors. The fact that this book’s vegetarian recipes outweigh meat-centric courses offers a clear nod to Asian cooking influences, as vegetables, not meats, tend to take center stage in day-to-day Asian cooking. That focus and the fact that sugar and salt are denied their classic status as go-to additives, awaken the reader to the possibilities of cooking healthy, eye-catching dishes whose flavor elements stand on their own merits. One could be forgiven for forgetting that these recipes are rooted in encouraging adherence to dietary restrictions, and simply allowing the exciting boldness of the flavors carry them away.
So, with that said, here’s what’s up: Flavorful World wants to share the recipe riches with you by giving away one free copy of Chef Corinne Trang’s SWITCH IT UP – A Fresh Take on Quick and Easy Diabetes-Friendly Recipes for a Balanced Life. Because what is life without sharing? And just because we enjoy going an additional mile when we can, Chef Trang has allowed us to give you a peek at her unique style of cooking energy by sharing her recipe for Fennel Salad with Blood Orange. Because what is life without sharing two times? Check it out, make it, eat it. Maybe do a little dance in your chair without caring who sees you because it’s that tasty. Then enter our contest for your chance to win a copy of this palate-expanding recipe collection. Contest entry directions follow below the recipe.
Fennel Salad with Blood Orange
Serving 1 cup
Prep 15 minutes
Cook 0 minute
- 2 fennel bulbs, shaved or paper-thinly sliced (about 6 cups), some fronds reserved for garnish
- 4 blood oranges, peeled and sectioned, membrane removed, any juice squeezed and reserved
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
In a medium bowl, toss the fennel and blood oranges. Squeeze the juice from the orange membrane over the salad. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with fennel fronds and serve.
©2017 by Corinne Trang. Reprinted with permission from The American Diabetes Association. Switch It Up is available at ShopDiabetes.org, in bookstores nationwide, or by calling 1-800-232-6733. Food Photography: Corinne Trang.
GIVEAWAY CONTEST ENTRY RULES
(Don’t worry, we’ve kept this bit as concise as possible, since time spent reading could be spent eating instead…)
- This contest is open to United States residents only.
- Contest begins today, Wednesday, April 19th, 2017 and will last through 11:59 p.m. PDT (Pacific Daylight Time), Sunday, April 30th, 2017. Contest will close to entries at that time. One entry per contestant per entry method, arigatō.
- One (1) winner chosen at random will receive one (1) FREE copy of Chef Corinne Trang’s book, SWITCH IT UP – A Fresh Take on Quick and Easy Diabetes-Friendly Recipes for a Balanced Life.
- Winner will be announced on Saturday, May 6th, 2017 on FlavorfulWorld.com.
There. Now that that’s out of the way, you can enter via one or both of the following two methods:
- Head on over to Twitter and enter by copying + pasting the following sentence into a Tweet for your chance to win (don’t worry about including the quotation marks; they’re used to being excluded from stuff):
“I just entered to SWITCH IT UP in the @FlavorfulWorld book giveaway #FWChefTrangBook: https://wp.me/p6GvQz-3Lo”
2 . Email your entry to askme (at) flavorfulworld.com with the subject line: “Contest entry: I want to SWITCH IT UP!”
Good luck and good eating to all!
This article first appeared on FlavorfulWorld.com.